Saturday, June 26, 2010

Peach Pickin'

I always knew the church was amazing, but I never realized how smart they are. When I moved up to countryville, USA in North Ogden and was sitting in sacrament one day, they announced that it was tree trimming time again in the orchard. I thought they meant tree trimming around the neighborhood. However, Gavin explained to me that the church owns this huge orchard just down the road. The orchard is split up in catagories by Stakes and Wards, and we are in charge of taking care of our share. When it comes time for harvesting, the church cans them and distributes them throughout families in the church that needs food or even throughout the world. Amazing huh? The first time we went to help, I was amazed at how many trees there are. I have never been in an orchard so big. Our ward is in charge of about 80 trees out of basically 1000, seriously that big. The trees were still dead from the winter, it was freezing cold outside and I was the only girl, so it wasnt very enjoyable. Well last sunday Gavin volunteered us to go help this past week again to do some thinning. I learned that thinning the trees means to even out the fruit throughout the tree so there is room for the peaches to grow without breaking the branch. They handed us a flier as we pulled in with these sweet peach pickers. The fliers had these rules on them:
Rule #1: No throwing fruit
Rule #2: Be on the ladders only if necessary
Rule #3: No horseplay
So what does my husband do right as we start? Starts throwing hard, unripe fruit at me. He is such a butt. We had a lot of fun though. The trees were so pretty with all the green leaves on them.





Jill and Gaynard have been wanting to take us to Tucanos for a long time. That is Gavin's ultimate favorite place to eat and we also did our wedding luncheon there. So before Gaynard leaves for Hawaii we took a trip to the Gateway. Gavin's parents have been so proud of him for his sucess in school and his hardwork with his new job... and so have I.





                                                                        
This past friday was my sister-in-laws last day of work. I am going to be so sad and lonely without her. I am so excited that she got a new great job with a law firm in Salt Lake. She is such a hardworker and definetly deserves it. I guess I do have Shane to hang out with though.

                 Friday was also my Brother-in-law's birthday! Woop Woop the big 25 now he can get a rental car without getting robbed. We had a great time hanging out and seeing all their friends. My sister is such a good wife and her and her friends are so gorgeous it makes me jealous. But I am lucky to have such a fun family.

No comments: